Noodles for breakfast!
Green Hill Park
"Yeah I'm Daddy's Princess, the Mei Mei (little sister),
but I'm also the boss!
Checking email with mom
Peoples Park
" Hmmm, what can I get from my Daddy now?"
Rock star found some fans at People's Park
The ever famous squatty potties--this one's for you Daddy!
Think they'll catch on at home!?!
Giggle tickle time with brother
So I guess you all were wondering where is the next post!?! Well, here it is. And guess what, you're stuck with me Kristin this time. So sorry! The funny man needed a break and thought it would be best for this post to be from a mother's heart. I'll get back to that in a bit.
Yesterday we visited Green Hill Park. It was a park that you actually paid to visit. Because of this it was absolutely beautiful! The park was exactly it's name--a green hill. There were palm trees, flowers, grass areas, and lots of places for Alissa to run around. The smiles on her face throughout the day were priceless. After the park we stopped at a store for ocean pearls. Guangxi is known for these. Benjamin found a cool jade rabbit to wear around his neck (he was born in the year of the rabbit).
Today we enjoyed some time at another park--People's Park. This is a free park. It was a cross between Long's Park and Knoebels Park. What a trip, we were mobbed by people coming up to our group touching Benjamin, pointing to our noses, and talking about our Chinese children in Chinese. Most people seemed happy, however there were a few that weren't so happy as told by the expressions on their faces and hand gestures. Alissa loved feeding the fish, sliding, and playing in the sand. Afterwards our group went out for a wonderful Chinese lunch. After that we headed back to the hotel and had fun swimming as a family. Then it was off in a taxi to a bookstore.
So now to the part of the post from a Mother's heart. These past 2 days have been especially hard for me. Last night Alissa had her hardest night yet. We have found that around 7pm each night seems to be the time she misses her foster parents the most. This is when it starts to get dark here. Today we kept busy and limited the nap to ease this time. Still at 7pm she began to cry. As a mother my heart breaks for her. I feel as if we are living in a fish bowl here too. People are always staring at us, quick to approach us to admire our American son, and correct us with our Chinese daughter. It is no exaggeration when I say we are the only foreigners here (along with the rest of our adoption group) in Nanning. It's hard when people come up to Alissa and start to talk to her. This am at breakfast a lady talked to her about her American Momma. We caught the American Momma part, but of course we don't know what else she was saying about me. Tonight at supper the waitress was talking to Alissa because she was frustrated by something. Along came 3 other ladies whom then told me that Alissa didn't want my help. I smiled, took a sip of my soda, and fought back the tears. I try to be the best mom I can to her. It just doesn't always feel that way by the reactions of people here. From what we have heard there haven't been many adoptive families that have stayed at the hotel we are at right now. Don't get me wrong, Nanning is a beautiful city! I know I can speak for us all when I say we are looking forward to heading to Guanghzou on Monday. There we will stay at the White Swan Hotel with many other adoptive families. It's just been painful not to be able to console my precious daughter at times, and live in a fish bowl. As I enter this post, I sit here and watch my beautiful baby girl sleep in my bed. My heart is so full of love for my daughter! God is so good and he has shown his faithfulness to our family. Please pray for...continued strength, good health, grieving for Alissa, and our flight on Monday. We will be flying out Monday 7:40pm to Guanghzou. This has been Alissa's hardest part of her day since we've had her. Please pray for us as we make this flight. Well, I'm sorry for the long winded Mother's post for today! Just giving you a glimpse of a Mother's heart. Until next time...Take care and we love you all!

12 comments:
Oh Kristin, my heart aches with you. I will continue to pray for much strength and grace as you mother Alissa during the hardest point of the day when she is sad and crying. You would never know it by all the adorable pictures of her smiling and looking so happy and content. I am loving all the pictures. Thank you so much for posting. It allows us to be a part of your journey. I will continue to pray, pray, pray for all of you as you continue to learn to know Alissa and grow as a family. We are so behind you. Take care! Much love, Twila for all the Shertzers
Dearest Kristin,
As mothers it is our job to make sure that our children are completely happy and taken care of. And I know that you are doing an incredible job at it. We want our kids to never feel heartache, to always want us and need us, and to be everything to them. It breaks our heart when we are not. It does not matter where or how our children come to us, just that they are loved and have a life that is good. This will all come to you and Alissa as the days come and go. Hang in there, the countdown to your return to the USA is getting closer. I will continue to pray for you and for your dear little girl. I love the pink bow in her hair. (it is what every little girl needs)
Love and Smiles,
Michelle
Kristin, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know how hard it came be when other moms here are judgmental of you but to have it be in another country where you can't understand what they are saying must be ten times worse!!! I pray that when you move to your next destination that people will be kinder and that you will have an easier stay. We will definitely pray for your next flight. We will pray that with all that is going on that Alissa will be distracted and that it will be easier for you all. It makes us so happy to see you all smiling and we can't wait to see you guys on Friday!!! Always remember that you are a great Mom and Benjamin is proof of that!
Love, Becky
PS - Is that Emma's dress??? It looks adorable on her!!!
Kristin -
I cannot imagine what you are all going through and how you are feeling. Keep doing what you all are because it is so obvious in the pictures where that little darling has a smile from ear to ear that she is happy. I pray that the time of adjusting gets easier for all of you. Don't you for one minute think you are nothing but a wonderful mother to two beautiful children. I cannot wait to see pictures of your trip - every picture it looks so beautiful there - mind you now, I'm not saying I ever want to fly for all of those hours!! Hugs to everyone and our love from across the seas. Tami
Hey girl!
I am just wrapping you and Alissa in prayer. God in his INFINITE wisdom chose you to be Alissa's mommy because He knew that you would be the very best mommy for her. What's that song? "For such a time as this - you were created - for such a time as this - you were born." We will continue to pray for her grieving to end and that your flights will go so smoothly it will be clear that God's hand was in it. In the meantime - she is so beautiful and I can't help but choke up when I see her and Benjamin laughing together! And I think Brent may be just a little in love with his baby girl...We are all praying for you and love you. We can't wait to see you when you get home!
Dear Ones - Our hearts ache for you as you experience these times of grieving and adjusting. You are all doing such a wonderful job with helping Alissa bond. We can't imagine what it must be like to have other mothers speak to her in her native tongue and you not be able to understand what they are saying to her. Kristin, you are a super mommy, and don't ever think otherwise. We can't wait for you to be home where our whole big family can surround you and support you! Know that we love you all, and we will continue to bathe you in prayers. Our hearts are with you as you travel this journey. We will especially be praying as you fly out of Nanning, trusting the Lord for safety, calm spirits and adjustment. We love you beyond expression!
Our love and prayers,
Mother and Daddy
Dear Kristin,
I can't add more to what has been said already. You have such a gift as a Mom and I know Alissa can feel it through your love and your compassionate heart. Keep trusting in the power of prayer, cause you sure have a ton of prayer support back here!
I love the new pics, the big smiles, big brother tickles, and the rock star photo shoot! Priceless!
I hope you can feel our love - our thoughts and prayers are with you continuously!
Mom
Dear Kristin,
Thanks for sharing your heart with us. I can't imagine the mixed bag of emotions you must be experiencing right now. You'll soon be home and surrounded by those who love you and understand the miracle of adoption. Praise God that He has given Alissa a mother who is so in tune with her daughter's grief and other needs! She'll be more than okay real soon.
Love, Kelly
Kristen, I can't begin to imagine the emotional roller coaster ride that you are on. But what I do know is that you are a fantastic Mother and that the Lord handpicked Alissa for your family. I pray that the grieving process doesn't last much longer, that the flights go as smooth as possible and the family bonding gets stronger. The family pictures are priceless - you have waited a long time for this and you knew the transition would be difficult at times, but as I have said before, the power of prayer is incredible. Hopefully just getting out of Nanning will help you. Only a few more days and its back to the states where she will get to meet family & friends. How lucky we all will be. XXOO, Tracy
Kristin,
I wish there was something I could say to ease the hurt you feel from "the fish bowl."
I know, because I've watched you, you are one of the best mom's I know. Please let all of our love, prayers, support and encouragement, across the miles, help you ignore those unkind looks and comments. Alissa needs you! And with prayer and time her grieving will lessen and her love for you will blossom and grow strong as only the bond between a mother and daughter can be. I know you're already there, she will be too. How amazing you and Brent and Benjamin are to all of us. You've opened you hearts and home to Alissa. And I believe with all my heart that God chose you to be her Mommy, and Brent her Daddy and Benjamin her big brother. Hold on to that. And please hurry home so all of us can wrap you in our love and support.
Love,
Sonya
Hey, guys! First, let me say thank you so much for letting us be part of your journey and your thoughts and feelings during your stay in China! It's been such a blessing to our family, and I know it has been for others, as well. We continue to pray for you often. We will pray specifically for the bedtime hour, that Alissa will feel at total peace. At the women's conference at church this weekend, Christine Strunk said that God holds each of us so tightly in His hands that we have left marks on His palms! I thought that was such an awesome illustration! He's holding you now, just like He always has. You'll get through this challenge. Take care! Blessings, Karen for the Umbles
Kristin:
Thank you for sharing your heart. What an intense week of emotions you have experienced! God hand-picked Alissa to be a part of your family. He will guide you as you learn how to meet Alissa's needs. Keep your eyes on the Lord as you navigate these days. Our family will be praying for your family as you travel to Guangzhou.
Love,
Shelby
P.S. Love the pictures!!!
Post a Comment