Well, I thought I would post tonight while the family is asleep, so I don't have to get up early to post. Never did like mornings! Well, this morning started with pee on the floor as I mentioned in the previous post. But, nooo, it didn't stop there! We left shortly after the post for breakfast and to tour Nanning city the historic section by visiting a bird and flower market which were amazing and then a historic park with many ancient Chinese customs. In other words, a tourist trap, but a cool one. Well first we went to the market and Alissa seemed so tired and quiet, all she wanted to do was be held, which we didn't mind and we chalked up for another great bonding moment. The only problem is that it wasn't that at all. We just got back on the bus after Daddy splurging on his girl and buying her and mom matching bracelets that were hand tied in front of us. We sat down and Kristin was holding out both of their arms just telling me how beautiful the bracelets looked and thanking me for being such a great husband, (Its my post, so I can exaggerate a little) anyway, she was adoring me, when all of a sudden that precious little daughter who was so cute eating watermelon for breakfast now was projecting watermelon all over herself and thankfully Kristin. She is yelling for towels, wipes, anything, and me now being the dumb, stupid husband was fumbling thru the bag she brought along looking for something, anything. She didn't seem to want to believe me when I said there wasn't anything there. Go figure! Well I was saved by 3 other moms handing about everything but the kitchen sink to help. What a way to start the morning!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Love Sick!
After that we went to the historic park where Kristin decided to stay with Alissa in the bus while she slept. While at the park Benjamin and I learned about these neat beautiful handcrafted balls that people usually hang from their rear view mirror. When I found out that they were called "love balls" or "balls of happiness" I couldn't wipe the smirk off my face as I bought six! I triumphantly returned to the bus to make things right with my new found balls!LOL Kristin wasn't as amused and I think she will kill me when she reads this post.
Well we returned to the hotel for the afternoon off. I decided to read up on the word for poop as I was warned by several comments, and thank goodness I did because I had my new daughter standing there yelling at me in Chinese that she needs to poop! I quickly picked her up and yelled for Kristin to help. I told you today was a zinger. Well we didn't end up doing much because she threw all up over Kristin again in the room and then went to sleep. We just had laundry done and it looks like we will need another order. Oh, they returned our clean laundry today and told me the bill was $1,200 yuan. This would be about $200 U.S. for about 15 pieces of clothes. Well what do you say to a Chinese man who doesn't understand what I'm saying that I think he's crazy. Well, I started counting out the bills knowing I didn't have that much on me, when he started to laugh and tell me I misunderstood, all he needed was $120 yuan or $18 U.S. I sighed a breath of relief and decided he was a good man after all. Sorry for the side bar. I'm getting a little carried away tonight, so I better wrap this up. Alissa did throw up a final time around 6 pm and all over Kristin again. I think she is getting over dry heaving at the sight of vomit now. Anyway, the rest of the night we did play and have some fun moments together as evident on the pictures. She adores Benjamin as you can see from the picture of her watching him journal. She then finished the night with some severe homesickness for her foster parents. It was heart wrenching as she mourns their loss. Cindy our Bethany case worker, came and helped a little by talking to her in Chinese and finding out what was bothering her. I can't say enough about Bethany and the Chinese people they have helping the children and parents bond with each other. We even got a call in the evening by the head person over here that arranges all the adoptions with Bethany families. They take such good care of us and they are always trying to help us learn as much about the culture as we can so we can help our daughters as they get older. God has been good to our family, but Alissa doesn't know that yet as she weeps each night and her foster parents I'm sure are crying themselves to sleep also. Please pray for Alissa, her foster family, and the people here in China that are forced to give up their children because of the one child policy and the lack of resources to support more children. Blessings to all of you.
Posted by The Kreiders at 7:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
What a PRECIOUS entry!! Tears!!! Thanks for allowing us to follow your journey!!
Jen J. (for all the boys too!)
Oh my goodness! Nothing like keeping you on your toes right away! That's a girl for ya. =)
Brent, love your posts..you are a great husband, father, and writer and I certainly hope you picked up a pair of "love balls" for your little brother! I would LOVE to hang those from his work truck mirror. LOL!!
Hi Brent, Kristen and Benjamin,
We are so enjoying your journey but I must say it is scaring me a bit!! I hope and pray that Bret and I can handle all this when it becomes our turn (remember, we are older and not as energetic as you guys)! It has been a LONG time since we had a little one!!! I'm sure you will remember(and laugh about) these days for many years to come!!
Blessings!
The Lasdins
Brent -- You are cracking me up with your posts....Quite a writer I might add. Modern technology is great and we are happy to follow this journey with you. Everyone continues to be in our thoughts and prayers and we look forward to seeing you all again soon. A a father of two girls, I will echo Bradi's comments :)
Let Benjamin know that the Phils are playing good ball, the Mets are faltering again, and as of Today (Thursday) the Phils are in first by .5 game. Not sure if you heard about the Eagles/Dallas game, but it was a wild one...A loss for the birds...but a great game to watch.
- Doug (for the Umble clan)
Brent, I had to laugh out loud at your post! But I feel badly for Alissa for being sick, and for Kristin for being thrown up on multiple times :(
It's so cute to see Alissa taking it all in what big brother is doing.
We'll continue to pray for you all as you bond and adjust to each other, as well as for Alissa's homesickness and for her wonderful foster parents.
Love,
the Fasnachts
Brent - I had to pick myself up off the floor after reading your post - you are too funny! I certainly hope you bring the "love balls" along on Thanksgiving so we get the true picture of how proud you are in finding them! Of course, once Kristin reads this post she may wrap them around your neck!
Poor Alissa for being sick and poor Kristin - getting thrown up on - 3 times no less! Oh Kristin, I was right there with you, many times gagging, dry heaving and just about dying when they would throw up!
I love the pic of Alissa watching her brother so intently as he writes. Can't wait to see all of you.
I pray that Alissa's grieving periods are less and less and for strength for all of you as you comfort her. I cannot even begin to imagine how heart breaking it is.
Brent you may have to change careers when you return - sounds like you could have two choices though - either a barterer or a comedian!
Love - Tami
Hi Brent, Kristin, Benjamin & Alissa,
Nothing says family more than "puke". Unless you count the "pee and poop" too. So glad to hear that things continue to go well. It makes my heart ache when you write about her grieving spells for her foster family. We will continue to pray for all of you and for her foster family as well. It warms my heart to hear about all the support and guidance you have in getting through these difficult situations.
I can't wait to see Kristin's car with the "love balls" hanging from the rearview. Will there be a set hanging in Uncle Ronald's digger??
Continue to have fun, relax and enjoy falling in love with that little lady!
Benjamin... My eyes welled up with tears at the sight of her just watching you. You are a special young man.
Thanks for the update. We look forward to our next one and hope that there are alot less bodily fluids being mentioned!
Love and Smiles,
The Harnish Clan
Brent...I think you missed your calling as a writer! You are doing an awesome job with posting...we just love reading them. This has been such an awesome journey for your family, but we feel equally blessed to be able to participate in it along with you via the Blog posts. Please do bring back some "love balls" for Ron's digger...it would be interesting to see how he would explain them! We will continue to pray for all of you and trust that each day the grieving proccess will lessen a little bit more. I can't even read any of your posts w/o crying, seems like we've been doing alot of that lately, tears of joy and tears of heartache for little Alissa. Benjamin you certainly look so proud of your sister, and she really seems to be your adoring fan! Kristin, hopefully you've seen enough of vomit for a lifetime! Keep up the great job!
Our love and prayers,
Mother and Daddy
Hi there Brent, Kristen, Alissa and Benjamin! This is your neighbors Rich & Irene. We have been following your wonderful experience, and we pray that you come home safe. This is just awesome!
Aw...poor Alissa. I can't imagine saying "My belly hurts", and not being understood. Sounds like you figured that out soon enough though! I'm sure glad the laundry didn't cost you $200; it sounds like there will be plenty of that to do! Alissa is simply beautiful, and Benji seems quite taken with her:) He's always asking to see pics of his "friend". Your blog makes me want to do it all over again. Dale keeps reminding me of how tired we are running after Benji, and brings me back to reality temporarily:). You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We're praying for a safe return for your family of four!
Greeting Kreider family!
I hope this message finds Alissa feeling better And Brent – you are great at writing!
I got your blogspot from the Umbles’ and I have spent the past ½ hour catching up on your wonderful journey! Congratulations on your new addition! Welcome Alissa!
Nichole came home from school yesterday and was talking about the cute pictures of
Benjamin and his new sister, and it was driving me crazy – I HAD to see too! So I called Karen and she passed the information along.
We will keep your family in our prayers as everyone is adjusting, the foster family, and comfort for Alissa at bedtime as well as strength and wisdom for you and Kristin.
Thanks for sharing your journey! The Shirks’ (Phil, Renee, Tyler and Nichole)
Hi kids,
Dad is at the cabin, and I'm sitting here passing the night hours at the computer rereading your latest blog and savoring the pictures of you all!
We feel so connected to you and your journey and all that you are experiencing. We keep praying for you all so much, and trust that Alissa can adjust and that her period of grieving will be short. And hope you have plenty of time to relax and get much needed rest so that you all can adjust with ease.
Now we remember, yes, Brent got A's on English compositions! Great descriptions and humor! But we miss your blogging too Kristin. I'm sure you prefer giving your full attention to Alissa rather than to the keyboard.
Thanks so much for all of the pictures. Of course we have the most beautiful grandchildren and love seeing their pictures. We will eagerly wait for more! We really miss you, Benjamin!
We hope each day brings new joys and smiles.
Enjoy every moment!
Love you much,
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment