Saturday, September 27, 2008

Welcomed Home!

One of the MI cousins--Raegan
Brent's Brother Brad and his wife Bradi
Welcomed at Harrisburg Airport
by family and friends

Hanging out in her 
new bedroom
Checking out her baby doll
Bedtime snack--noodles

We're home!  YEAH! It feels so great to be home. We arrived at HIA last night around 8pm. All our flights went smoothly. Our last connection home from Detroit was delayed 1 1/2 hours. I almost had a break down at that point. I just wanted to be home! We had a layover in Detroit, MI so Brent's Brother Brad, his wife Bradi, and their daughter Raegan (sister Sydney was with her grandma) drove 2 hours to meet us. What a very special time! Alissa loved her new cousin Raegan. She ran all around chasing her. It was so sad to have to leave them. Thanks guys for making the drive to see us. It meant the world to us! Then came our welcome at HIA! And boy was it a welcome! We were greeted by our parents, my brother Jon, his wife Becky, my nephew Ethan, my niece Emma and several of our friends and their children. My dear friend Alicia made t-shirts up for the adults and kids in our gang. They had a pic of Benjamin and Alissa and it said Welcome Home Alissa & Benjamin. What a special touch! Alissa kept going up to every one's t-shirts and pointing to her pic along with her brother. Alissa enjoyed running around after her new friends and cousins. As Alicia said, she'll fit in just fine with the crew at the beach! The best was whenever she ran around with her friends she always kept mom in sight to run to for a great big hug! Next came the car seat. Car seats are not common in China. In fact from what we heard they are hard to find there. She was fine when we first strapped her in, but once we started driving she started to scream. It felt like a very long drive home. We arrived to our house to flowers, balloons, gifts, and signs from our family and wonderful neighbors. The yard was even mowed! That was so kind of you!

 Once home we took her in to see her room. She seemed to like it. It was familiar to her from the pictures we sent. She was excited to see a backpack like the one we sent to her (we bought a 2nd one to have here at home in case the foster parents kept the one we sent.). We weren't sure that she actually saw it, but when she walked into her room she picked it up and showed it to me saying American Mama (in Chinese). It melted my heart! Next it was time for a bedtime snack. I made her noodles and she ate them right up. The best was Brent and his granola (he couldn't wait for a bowl of cereal, we didn't eat or drink any milk while in China). He gave her some, but she didn't seem to care to much for it. She proceeded to take another spoonful and put it in her leftover chicken broth and then eat it. Granola in chicken broth yum yum! We headed to bed around midnight. I slept on Alissa's bedroom floor. She only woke up twice during the night. I was able to get her back to sleep without too much trouble. The 2nd time I actually fell asleep in her bed. I woke up with her asleep hugging me. Another heart melting moment. We crawled out of bed around 10:30 this morning and have been trying to keep busy not sleeping. Alissa did nap for an hour this afternoon. Of course that was when the grandparents and my brother and his family were here. She did sit and watch Tom & Jerry with her cousins and even shared a few animal crackers with them. That made cousin Emma feel better, because she was hurt that Alissa didn't hold her hand Friday night at the airport. (So cute) After supper this evening she got to meet some of the neighbors. The kids were so excited to see her and she was happy to ham it up for them. Alissa fell asleep around 7pm tonight so I put her to bed for the evening. We'll see how tonight goes. We are borrowing Jon &  Becky's baby monitor so I don't have to sleep in Alissa's room. Brent is excited about that! Well, I am feeling pretty beat. So it's time for bed. Thanks to our family and friends for your welcome home! I know I sound like a broken record but we appreciate all your kindness, prayers, and well wishes. We are humbled! And yes, to all those who are wondering we are planning on continuing to blog. We have family and friends (and new blog friends) from all over that would like to follow our continuing journey, so to be continued.....
Good Night!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kreiders,
Welcome Home! I am sure you were all glad to sleep in your own beds last night. Thanks for the new pictures. It looks like she is right at home there in Lititz.
We can't stop laughing at the pictures of Alissa eating her noodles. Especially at bedtime. Who needs granola and milk when you can have chicken broth and noodles!??!!
We hope that the next car ride goes better for her. I am sure you are all looking forward to getting back into the routine of school and work. I bet Benjamin's baseball team has missed him.
We look forward to our next update and getting to meet our new cousin.
Have fun and just keep enjoying every moment!
Love and Smiles,
The Harnish Clan

Anonymous said...

what fun! Now that all my eye make-up is on one of my month end reports, i guess i'll have to run it again. What a beautiful story. I am so excited for you and can't wait to meet your daughter :)

Anonymous said...

what fun! Now that all my eye make-up is on one of my month end reports, i guess i'll have to run it again. What a beautiful story. I am so excited for you and can't wait to meet your daughter :)

Tami Lantz said...

WELCOME HOME!

Kristin - the big question I have is - has Alissa been introduced to the little white powdered turkey hill doughnuts yet??

Alissa looks like she has always been there with you! What a doll! Her smile tells me that she may be another Kylee - always one step ahead and a tad bit mischievous with that little sparkle in her eye!

I bet Benjamin is glad to get back to school and baseball and I am sure his class will love hearing all of his stories from China! I know I can't wait to hear and see pictures.

Hope we get to see you all before Thanksgiving! Can't wait to meet our new cousin!

Love - tami

Brenda said...

Congrats Kreiders! What a beautiful little daughter/sister you have!

I thought Bradi was going to explode while waiting to meet Alissa.

God Bless you as you adjust to your new life as a family of four!!